How to Fix Basement Cracks
Over time, every house develops its own unique problems. Some of these problems are harmless, while others can be indicative of a more serious issue. Basement cracks, for example, can often lead to issues like flooding. If left over time, the moisture in these cracks can cause structural insecurity in your home and can leave you with irreversible damage.
For all of those reasons, it’s best to fix your basement cracks as soon as possible. Today, we’re going to show you how to do just that by using an easy and affordable rubber spray sealer. A solution like this will easily fill in the cracks in your basement, leaving you with a waterproof seal that will stand the test of time. And, best of all, you can do it without paying thousands of dollars to a home repair contractor.
What you need to fix basement cracks
- Rubber spray sealer (we recommend Flex Seal)
The first thing you need to do when waterproofing your basement is to identify any cracks and problem areas that could develop. This can be seen around areas of weakened concrete, or near drains and other features.
After identifying these cracks, spray each one with your rubber spray sealer. You’ll want to aim your sealant inside each crack in order to let the liquid rubber fill the space. Fortunately, Flex Seal has a nozzle that is specifically designed to distribute rubber in spaces like this, which makes it an ideal solution for fixing basement cracks.
Wait for your rubber spray sealer to dry and make sure that the rubber has formed a solid, waterproof bond with the surrounding material. Sometimes, the rubber can slightly deflate as it fills a hole, so you may need to hit it with a few coats for maximum effectiveness. After that, you’re done!
Why should I use Flex Seal?
We recommend Flex Seal as the best product to fill in basement cracks. Why? Here are a few of the reasons why Flex Seal is such an effective and popular product:
- Easy to use: If you have limited experience in home repair, then Flex Seal can be a life saver. You simply point the can at the area or crack that you want to fill and then click the button to let a stream of liquid rubber fly out. Home repair doesn’t get much easier than that.
- Long-lasting: The unique rubber solution in Flex Seal can last under the harshest conditions. It holds its rigidity in temperatures ranging from -60 to 300F and does not biodegrade naturally in the environment. In comparison, the conditions in your basement will seem pretty timid, which is why Flex Seal will form a waterproof barrier in your basement cracks for an incredibly long time.
- A powerful waterproof seal: If you’re going to fill in the cracks in your basement, then you don’t want to use an inferior product. Flex Seal will repel water from the cracks in your basement and prevent moisture from ever returning. Put simply, when you use Flex Seal, you can stop worrying about any sort of water damage in your home.
- Works on all materials: Rest assured that Flex Seal will form a powerful seal on virtually any material. It easily sticks to concrete, plastic, fiberglass, wood, and hundreds of other substances.
- Affordable: A top-quality product like Flex Seal should cost more than $19.99, but it doesn’t. For that price, you get two large cans of liquid rubber solution, which should be more than enough to fill in the cracks in your basement. And, to make the deal seem even sweeter, think of how much money you’re going to save on home repair costs.