How to Fix a Roof Leak
Everybody’s roof degrades over time. This can lead to everything from a minor leak to serious water damage. In order to repair a roof leak, most homeowners need to pay a roofing contractor thousands of dollars. But what if there was an easier and more affordable solution?
By using a spray-on rubber sealer on your roof, you can easily prevent leaks and water damage from ever affecting your home. Priced at only $19.99, a good roof sealer like Flex Seal is an easy way to save thousands of dollars on home repair costs.
With that in mind, here’s how to fix a roof leak using a rubber spray sealer. Remember that all of these steps can be done by somebody with absolutely no experience in home repair – it’s that easy.
- A can of good rubber spray sealer (we recommend Flex Seal). Depending on the size of your roof, you may need multiple cans.
First, you need to get up on your roof. Since the rubber sealer takes some time to dry, try not to do this on a rainy day, and check the weather forecast for any chance of precipitation. Use a ladder and climb onto the roof, bringing a can or two of rubber spray sealer with you.
Once you’re on the roof, take a look around for the various areas that you need to tackle. Leaks will often occur around various features on your roof, like piping, chimneys, skylights and channel valleys. Essentially, think of the areas where a lot of water could build up, and focus your efforts there.
Of course, if you already have a leaky roof, and know the general area from which it is coming, you can simply focus on that area. However, remember that leaks can come from all sorts of different places, and they may not necessarily be directly above the area of the actual leak in your house. For example, if a leak is coming from the ceiling above your kitchen, the actual roof leak may be on the other side of your house, and the water could be traveling through your ceiling to get to that point.
For that reason, finding a leak can seem like a difficult and frustrating task, but by per-emptively fixing trouble spots today, you can ensure that your roof remains leak-proof for as long as possible. To make this step easier, it’s important to be aware of the way water flows once it hits your roof.
After identifying the problem spots on your roof, you will find flashing underneath. Roof flashing is a sheet of metal designed to funnel water away from your home. Over time, the seal between this flashing and the shingles around it will degrade. Gently lift up the shingles in the areas you have identified to reveal the flashing beneath.
Using your rubber spray sealer, point and spray at the area between these shingles and the flashing. This works best when you focus your efforts approximately six inches back from the edge of the shingle. Be sure to lift the shingles gently, as you want to avoid breaking them. Also, do not be afraid to liberally the spray sealer, as spraying it too thin will cause the seal to disintegrate more easily.
Repeat step 3 with all of the problem areas of your roof, using as much spray sealer as is necessary. You may need to order several cans in order to be effective. The sealer will dry throughout the day, forming a protective barrier between your roof and the elements. After that, you’re done! And, best of all, you’ve avoided paying thousands of dollars to a roofing contractor.
Why should I choose Flex Seal to repair my roof leak?
As mentioned above, we highly recommend Flex Seal as the best way to repair your roof leak. Here are just a few of its most popular features:
- Reliability – Flex Seal has a unique formula that is specifically designed to bind to your roof’s surface – whatever that surface may be. Since rubber does not biodegrade naturally in the environment, the seal it forms will last for an incredibly long time.
- Multi-functionality – Unlike other roof sealants, which only work on certain materials, Flex Seal’s formula quickly and easily binds to everything from standard shingles to aluminum. Put simply, when you’re using Flex Seal, you can rest assured that it is equally as powerful no matter what surface it is attaching itself to.
- Affordability – In addition to saving you hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on home repair, Flex Seal costs only $19.99, and is currently offering a buy-one, get-one sale. At a price like that, Flex Seal is the most cost-effective rubber spray sealer that you can find, and costs a fraction of what any roofing company would charge.
- Easy to use – Even people with absolutely no knowledge of home repair have used Flex Seal to fix their roof leaks. It’s so easy that anybody can do it, and you simply point and spray it at any problem you want to solve.
- And more – Flex Seal can be used for more than just repairing a leaky roof. It is versatile enough to be used all over your house for any number of different purposes. You can fix broken pottery, or seal a leaky pipe or a bathtub, for example. Use your imagination: a good can of spray sealer can fix hundreds of different problems around your home.