How to Seal Gutters and Prevent Leaks
Are your gutters suddenly less effective than they used to be? If you’ve started to see leaks develop in your gutters, then they could be directing water towards your house, as opposed to away from it. This can lead to pools of water in dangerous places, and, over time, could cause serious water damage to your home.
Fortunately, there is an easy way to prevent this from happening to you. Today, we’re going to teach you how to use rubber spray sealer to prevent leaks in your gutters.
What you need:
- Rubber spray sealer (we strongly recommend Flex Seal)
- A ladder
Identify the problem areas on your gutters where leaks are occurring. To do this, it might be best to wait for a rainy day and then stand outside to watch your gutters in action. Or, if you’d rather not stand outside in the rain, you can pour buckets of water into your gutters on a clear day and watch for leaks.
For this step, it’s important to be aware of the problem areas in gutters where leaks often occur. Joints between two gutters can be especially troublesome, and pay close attention to the corners. While there may be already be seams on your gutter, these will eventually degrade over time and can become riddled with holes and leaks.
After taking note of the leaky spots in your gutter, you can start to hit each one with your rubber spray sealer. Make sure the gutter is relatively dry and clear of debris before you spray it, as you don’t want to trap any moisture or leaves in your rubber seal.
Simply point and shoot the sealer at any trouble spots. Don’t be afraid to pack on a lot of rubber sealant, provided the rubber doesn’t start to clog up the channel of your gutter.
Wait for the liquid rubber solution to dry and then test out your gutter system again. If leaks still occur when you pour water into the gutter, then you may need a second coat of rubber. After you’ve ensured that your new gutter system is working, you’re done! Now go tackle other problems around your house with any rubber spray sealer that you have left.
Why choose Flex Seal?
We’ve mentioned how powerful Flex Seal is. But what makes it so special? Here are a few of the reasons why Flex Seal is the best way to seal your gutters and prevent leaks:
- Incredibly effective: In terms of powerful, waterproofing technology, it doesn’t get much better than Flex Seal. Its unique, liquid rubber formula binds to virtually any material, and is particularly strong on gutters.
- Durable: Flex Seal holds up in virtually any environmental condition. It is strong enough to withstand temperatures as low as -60F and as high as 300F, and will not be damaged by wind, hail, or any other precipitation. It’s one of those products where, after you apply it, you simply trust its power and rely on it to do its job.
- Surprisingly affordable: You may be surprised to find out that Flex Seal costs only $19.99. And, at that price, they’ll even throw in an extra can for the cost of shipping and handling. Good luck finding another effective gutter sealant at that price!
- Easy to use: It doesn’t take long to figure out how to use Flex Seal. Simply take the cap off, point it at the area you want to seal, and let loose a stream of liquid rubber. That’s all you have to do, and it’s so easy that anybody – even somebody with limited home repair knowledge – will be able to tackle their house problems with ease.